Monday, August 3, 2015

Creamy Garlic Lemon Hummus

Happy August! This blog is officially a year old now, actually it was at the end of July...I totally missed it. Oh well, there are so many birthdays coming up for me. Today I have a great hummus recipe. Hummus is super healthy and very popular among vegetarians and vegans. Hummus is loaded with protein and nutrients, plus it's just yummy.



It looks great right? Sorry I don't top it with oil like some people. I just don't like a big bite of hummus, smothered in even more oil. You see, I make my own Tahini ( I use this recipe from thekitchn)  and well, I see all the oil added to it, and I feel as if smothering the hummus in oil, just isn't the best way to go. Coming up with this recipe was rather fun, and scarey. When I made it, I had never tried hummus before. I was dreadfully curious and thought I'd make my own ( I like having control over what goes in my food) plus I have a confession...I hate chickpeas unless they have really good seasonings, and even then sometimes I can't stomach them . It turned out so good ( I loved it, didn't turn my stomach at all!), and creamy.  Below is the recipe, remember to try to use organic. Also..some of the seasonings aren't typical hummus seasonings, but I don't care, it's just too good.


Creamy Garlic Lemon Hummus 

* 1 can Chickpeas ( Garbanzo Beans)
* 2 Tbsp Tahini  
* 4 Cloves minced Garlic  
* 1 Tbsp Lemon Juce 
* 1/2 Tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
* 1/8 Tsp Onion Powder
* 1/4 tsp Cumin 
* 2 Tbsp Water
* Salt to taste 
* Feta cheese and Pumpkin Seeds to top ( Optional) 
* Assorted Veggies and Pitas/Crackers to dip 

Directions: 

A small note on the Tahini recipe. I use Cocoanut oil in place of olive oil. 

Add the minced Garlic to the food processor, process for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients except Toppings and veggies/pitas/. Process till smooth, scraping the sides down as needed. Once desired consistency is achieved, serve cold or room temperature with veggies, pitas, crackers, and cheese.

Enjoy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment